Andrew:

Good question...

Well, Rainer mentioned some Windows event Log message that he had to
make into syslog message that could reach as large as 1MB if I recall
correctly.  Then, as we were designing fragmentation, we had to choose
some size limit. I was initially looking at binary encoding, so
looking at how many bits to allocate to message length.  16-bit value
gave us 65k. 24-bit value gave us 16MB. This is where 16MB came from.

I do not believe we can legitimately require everyone to support 16MB
multi-part messages.  I would never allow such default in my
implementation.  I would maybe allow it to be configured.  For one it
is really not smart to send 16MB over unreliable UDP using about 32000
UDP datagrams without any acknowledgments.

I would even consider lowering the 16MB significantly.  We just have
to keep in mind that we are talking about a consistent message size
limit for syslog-protocol regardless of the transport mapping. So, the
transport may indeed be TFTP for 16MB message.  Maybe it makes sense
to say in syslog-protocol what the minimum size the implementations
are required to support regardless of transport? Although I can see
how it can come back to bite us.

Anton.