hi

Ok. Is this the difference then for the three fields:

Facility: Administratively assigned bucket

Category: Fixed bucket

Message ID: The very smallest grouping of things without getting into
instance-specific information?

Sharon
--------------------
<Rainer>

> <Rainer>
> > S1. In section 6, what is the relationship between Facility
> > and MSG-ID? They
> > seem to serve the same purpose. Is Facility just historical?
> > Is MSG-ID what
> > we need to use moving forward? (see G3)
>
> I added this text to the description of FACILITY:
>
> ####
> It is RECOMMENDED that the facility
> reflects a type of subsystem, something that a number of
> different messages
> might be issued from. So it is a kind of corase group. ####
>
> Does this clarify? Do we need to add similar text to MSGID (in that it
> identifies a specific message)? To keep it short, I've not
> done this yet.
>
> </Rainer>

<Sharon>
> Now I'm left wondering how this relates to a category.

</Sharon>

Yes, you are right. It is a category. But it is not a fixed one, the
administrator can assign it.

</Rainer>

Sharon Chisholm
Nortel