Hi,

So which wording did you adopt here? Did you use 'instance of the
sender's syslog process'?
I'm not sure that's easier to understand, nor that it better
represents a SENDER-INST, and I'm not quite sure what exactly you want
in this field, nor why, based on the discussion in Appendix A. Some
guidance on WHICH process id would be helpful, if process id is to be
used.

It strikes me that this attribute is not well thought-out. I haven't
been much involved with syslog. Is this attribute supported by
existing running code? Is this something the whole WG agrees should be
standardized?

If the WG wants this standardized, then the text describing it (and
its use case) should be tightened up a lot. I suggest a format be
standardized if possible, based on common operating systems, with
recommendatioins about how to deal with non-common formats. Some
examples might be helpful as well.

If this cannot be tightened up, I recommend it be left out of the
standard.

My $.02
David Harrington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]