Alex,

thanks for the suggestion. However, a very similar scheme was already
proposed in -protocol-03. Please see section 6 in

http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-03.txt

It has been removed from the spec because it was concensus - after
month-long discussions - that this should not be in the spec. For
similar reasons, a similar approach was removed from Anton's I-D.

While I personally still feel it would be worth having it in the draft,
I do not like the idea to re-spawn the long, long discussion we had on
this topic. I think it would be time to get -protocol close to finish
and re-itereating that discussion will probably cause us another very
long delay. I also think the arguments are the same that already were
exchanged.

For some past discussion, please review these threads:

http://www.mail-archive.com/syslog-sec@www.employees.org/msg00056.html
http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/autoarc/msg01109.html
http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/autoarc/msg01294.html
http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/autoarc/msg01299.html

To get a better view of our current concensus, I would like to ask all
those that would like to see a fragmentation scheme back in the syslog
protocol to speak up now.

Thanks,
Rainer