Robert,

a follow-up to my own message. I've searched the mail archive for past
discussions and found an interesting one that specifically mentions IHE
and RFC 3881. This discussion was the one that is at the core of the
message size specification in syslog-protocol, which we are currently
discussion. Please note that syslog-protocol will most probably
influence the next version of RFC 3195, so the length restrictions made
here will most likely apply to any further versions of 3195 (until
-protocol is revised itself).

The discussion starts around
http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/autoarc/msg01297.html

and mentions RFC3888 here
http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/autoarc/msg01299.html

I guess it is necessary to read the whole thread to fully understand it,
the two links provided above are most probably not sufficient.

At the bottom line, I think the concensus in the WG was that no current
implementation of syslog supports more than 1K messages. I am thinking
this because we discussed >1K message as something *totally new* to
syslog, not as something that is already being used.

*IF* it is in use, we eventually need to change the length restriction
in syslog-protcol, even though I do not like the idea at this stage.

Comments are deeply appreciated.

Rainer