From: "Alexander Clemm (alex)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <syslog-sec@employees.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 7:53 PM
Subject: [Syslog-sec] Syslog message versioning

Hi,

a quick question:  Has versioning of syslog messages been discussed
before?

I am referring to the message identifier, as identified in the msg-id
field.  Sometimes it may happen that the same message may be slightly
modified from a release to the next - the message text may be updated,
but the semantics of the message still remain fundamentally the same -
actually, in practice this scenario is not unusual, and can lead to
issues.  Without versioning of message identifiers, there are in essence
two possibilities:  The same msg-id is used with a different text.  This
makes the parsing of the messages harder.  Or, a different msg-id is
used.  This makes parsing easier but adapting of application logic
harder - for example, rules that fire on one msg-id have to be updated
to reflect the new msg-id, as they should in essence be treated the
same.

Clearly, vendors can introduce some convention in their use of msg-ids
to indicate versioning if they so desire.  However, I think it is
worthwhile a consideration whether such a convention should be
incorporated into the protocol itself, as the ability to version things
generally serves to make them more robust.  A convention could consist,
for example, to suffix subsequent versions of a message with a ".x", x
being the message version.  Applications will then know that the
semantics of the message is characterized by the first part of the
message (without the suffix), and will know that the format of the
message itself is uniquely identified by the message with the context
given by the version.

If this was discussed at length before and consciously not included
there is no need to reopen this; but if not I'd think this would be
simple yet useful feature to consider - my 2 cents.  Comments?

Kind regards
--- Alex