Rainer,

I agree with this. But I have some minor remarks.

I see the post of Steve Chang, I think that it's a good solution.  But
it's too bad that the size of the truncation's field  varies _during
transport_. Moreover it is necessary to pay attention to the size
during truncation.

Examples :
message 1: length is 3000 octets and truncate value is 0.
A relay truncates it to 2048 on STRUCTURED-DATA. Put 8 + 1 in TRUNCATE
field
==> length = 2048. It's OK.

message 2: length is 3000 octets and truncate value is 0.
a relay truncate it to 2048 on MSG. Put 8 + 2 in TRUNCATE field  ==>
length = 2049. Implementor must pay attention !

Perhaps it's adapted to announce it.

Thanks