Tom,

I think part of the problem ob being out of sync in our interpretation
is that we are probably thinking about different user bases. As of my
understanding, SNMP most often has the "high end" users, the guys with
many ressources and good knowledge. Many of them also use syslog.
HOWEVER, syslog is also used by many "low end" users, those with limited
ressources and knowledge and only a handful of servers and routers. Most
probably, the later would not install SNMP based solutions and even not
care about things like NETCONF. Their problem is to see these few events
they have on a central machine and (hopefully) run some analysis against
it.

This diverse user base might be the root problem. In my experience,
syslog solutions and development tend to lean toward the low end, in
part because the high end already uses other event notification methods.
With syslog, we also have application developers who simply want to log
an error message somewhere. If we are lucky, they know about the
syslog() call, if not, they'll dump the message somewhere...

What I am trying to convey is that the different target user base
eventually requires different approaches for the protocols.

Then, there is the fact that syslog currently *is* being *deployed* via
TCP and via SSL(TLS). For example, these links are quite popular:

http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/1781/
http://www.stunnel.org/examples/syslog-ng.html
http://www.monitorware.com/Common/en/Articles/eventlog-stunnel-syslog.ph
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/syslog_ng.html?biga=15

Is actual *deployment* of a technology not a good indication that there
is need in the market for it? Frankly, the syslog developer community
cares very little about the IETF. This community develops what is in
demand, and unfortunately what we are currently doing is not demanded...
I think it is not wise to ignore the fact that a healthy developer and
user community has already solved (well, mostly) the problems we are
discussing. We just do not like their conclusions. The results that
practice tells us. But if practice is so broken, how can it work?

The one thing that is asked for ever and ever again by syslog users is
standardization of message *content*. That is the topic that urgently
needs work. That is the topic we have excluded in our charter ;) Folks,
I know this is my personal rant and frustration, but aren't we ready for
a reality check?

Ok, cooling down... I am sure that the survey you mentioned did very
well look at the needs and whishes of the big guys. But does it equally
well tell about the small ones? As a side note, I would find a link to
the survey questions (as suggested by David) very helpful.

Co-incidently, I'd begun to craft a small survey in the mean time.
Definitely not as well thought-out, but hopefully good enough to see
what is deployed in practice. I intended to ask for participation on
several mailing list. Now that I have finished it, I think I at least
provide a link to the proposal I intended to make

http://survey2.adiscon.com/phpESP/public/survey.php?name=syslog1_NonLive
1

(This survey is NOT LIVE - do NOT pass it to anyone outside the WG;
results will be discarded)

Rainer