From: "Rainer Gerhards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Anton Okmianski (aokmians)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 12:19 PM
Subject: RE: [Syslog] Unicode - was: AD Review fordraft-ietf-syslog-protocol-14

Anton:

thanks for your reply. I agree that structured data can contain (and probably
does in a real use case) data that is also present in the MSG part. As of this,
there is need to support Unicode there, too. As you outline, STRUCTURED-DATA is
mostly machine-processed. I do not fully agree that it won't be interpreted by a
human, so there eventually is some hit by visual spoofing. This is acceptable as
the security concerns are outweighted by the required functionality.

However, there might still be one thing that we could consider to do:
STRUCTURED-DATA consists of SD-IDs, PARAM-NAMEs and PARAM-VALUEs. Your argument
definitely shows that PARAM-VALUEs must support Unicode. But is it true for the
other two entities, too? Will we loose required functionality for the
international community if we restrict either SD-ID, PARAM-NAME or both to
US-ASCII? If the answer is "no", then we can probably restrict some entities. I
know that local characters in these identifiers might be helpful. But is it
really something we MUST have?

Let me use an example. In Germany, "Müller" (containing u with Umlaut - ü) is a
common name. As such, a user name "Müller" is something we can have. Now, if I
encode this in (hypothetical) STRUCTRED-DATA, I may end up with something like

USER="Müller"  [PARAM-NAME = PARAM-VALUE]

The "USER=" part should be locale- and language-ignorant - at least in my point
of view. So it is probably not a good idea that a German implementation would
encode it as

BENUTZER="Müller" ["Benutzer" is German for "User"]

While the extension-mechanism for vendor- and experimental extensions does not
specify any details, it probably is a good idea to use English language tags in
order to facilitate interpretation of the tags (and universal) adoption. The
extension mechanism should not be used as a translation tool. (Maybe this is
also something we should point out in syslog-protocol). But if we intend to
facilitate universal adoption of tags, we can probably require them to be
English names. And in such a case, US-ASCII would be sufficient.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not suggesting that using local language is
a bad thing per se. I also do not think of the use of English in this context as
the use of the local language of e.g. the US and the British. I am thinking
about the use of English as the language of IT, the language that - at least
currently - lays the foundation for international collaboration (and as such
conceptually should not be tied to some nations). The fact that I am from a
non-native English speaking country might proove my point a little.

My concern is that if we encourage implementors to create language-specific tag
names, interoperability might become a much bigger problem than when we stick
with a single, universal (in this context!) language. I currently do not see any
samples where local-language tag names will actually be required. Maybe I am
overlooking the obvious. Maybe English is not sufficiently enough considered to
be the "univesal language of IT", so that local policies might require tag names
to be in local language. But at the same time, would this not also mean that we
would need to support not a single, universal, timestamp but rather a wealth of
different local formats?

Any feedback is deeply appreciated.
Rainer