David, Darren,

even though no responses indicated we actually need to fix this, I
wanted to at least try an alternate ABNF. However, I did not find a
suitable one. Probably I am not smart enough to find it, so I am asking
if somebody else could come up with one (and if not, that would be a
definite answer to the original question).

Darren suggested something along the lines of

> > field ::= missing | non-dash | PRINTUSASCII*1 PRINTUSASCII*255
> > missing ::= "-"

However, that doesn't seem to catch all cases. So I tried to craft some
ABNF that allows all cases, which includes the strings below (each on a
separate line)

--
-id-
-id

but disallows

-

However, I did not succeed in this effort. Either I do not know enough
about ABNF (may well be) or it is actually impossible to describe such a
beast in just the grammar. From the implementors point of view, I think
it is pretty easy to parse everything and then compare it to a sole "-".
But that's not the point of this question. The question is if there is a
way to make the *parser* do the differentiation.

I'd appreciate any comments on this.

Rainer