> Rainer:
>
> I agree - this is better than a convoluted rule.
>
> I think we only have any business in defining truncation for
> relays.  For collectors, we have tried to stay away from
> describing how messages are stored.
>
> For relays, I think it would be useful to state that relay
> can't just drop arbitrary message parts. Your statements
> about "some parts ... are lost" may be interpreted that way.

Actually, this was what I meant ;) [I saw a number of use cases where it
would make sense to strip some known-not-so-relavant SD-IDs to be
strippedd], but ...

> I would recommend that we state that any truncation must
> happen at the end of the message, which I think is what
> truncation means to a lot of people anyway. This would
> prevent an implementation which prefers to throw out
> STRUCTURED-DATA before the MSG content.  A consistent
> behavior is useful for interop and, in particular, may help
> in dealing with security issues.
... this is more important. I now agree with your point.

As a side-note, we had the idea that relay operations may become a
separate document, so I would prefer not to dig too deep into relay
behaviour. To specify what you recommend, this is not necessary, so this
is not really a discussion topic here.

Rainer