Hi Sam,

I also have a concern that we may try to craft an answer that provides good security but that won't actually be deployed. As an analogy, snmp has similar characteristics to syslog. usm has good security properties but has not been widely deployed. isms is trying to redress that and is also getting bogged down in transport issues.

RFC 3562 (Key Management Considerations for the TCP MD5 Signature Option) indicates that shared secrets don't get deployed unless there is a real threat. Even then, it takes a lot of effort to maintain those credentials across a very large network. Utilizing X.509 credentials has much better security properties but are the operations groups of large networks going to be willing to implement that?

I would like to hear more discussion from developers, operators and network managers before we draw conclusions.

Thanks,
Chris