--On Friday, August 18, 2006 7:35 AM -0700 Chris Lonvick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If we use LF-escaping in syslog messages, what's going to happen if a
legitimate "\n" is sent by a sender?  An example would be:

    <PRI>... BOM The offending characters are \n

Will a receiver convert that into LF?  If that's the case then we should
not be using LF-escaping.

I raised the same issue. The answer is the receiver will examine the protocol version and will not un-escape unless the sender is a new-style sender. I'm still not convinced that the installed base of TCP syslog deployments is large enough to care about, but, given the decision to maximize backwards comparability, this is "good enough" to make implementation possible.

--
Carson