If
> so, we should state that clearly too. As an implementor, I am unsure
> what to do if I use the above text as a guideline.

Standards do not typically require an operator to use the technology
in a specific manner; Standards do typically require implementers to
implement in a way so that operators CAN configure the technology in
the preferred (interoperable) manner.

MUST is used when the on-the-wire format/information/etc. must be
interoperable for the protocol to work properly.

I do not like seeing "must" in a document; either it deserves to be a
MUST, i.e. it impacts on-the-wire interoperability, or it is an
implementation/usage decision and we should not mandate it. If you use
a lower case "must", then you'll need to convince me as co-chair that
the usage is justifed before I send it to the IESG.

Dbh