Hi,

So far, I have not been able to do a full review. But this triggers my
attention immediately...

> Perhaps restructure that as:
>
>     A Signature Block message that is compliant with RFC xxxx
> [14] MUST
>     contain valid APP-NAME, PROCID, and MSGID fields.
> Specifically, the
>     value for APP-NAME MUST be "syslog" (without the double quotes).
>     The value for MSG-ID MUST be "sig" (without the double
> quotes).  The
>     value for the PRI field MSUT be 110, corresponding to facility 13
>     and severity 6 (informational).  The Signature Block is carried as
>     Structured Data within the Signature Block message, per the
>     definitions that follow in the next section.
>
> Similar in Section 5.3.1.

Syslog-protocol does not reserve any specific values for APP-NAME,
PROCID and MSGID. So (at least theoretically), another implementor migth
use the suggested values for any other case.

As an implementor, I would probably like to consistenly use the same
APP-NAME. For example, all messages in rsyslog will be logged as
"rsyslogd".

I have just quickly read the IANA section (9.1): there is no such
registry like "APP-NAME". It might eventually be a good idea to create
one, but I am not sure if it is worth the trouble. In any case, I think
that must be spelled out in -protocol (else I can implement somthing
compliant to -protocol but not -sign). Same goes for MSGID.

My recommendation (without a full read of the document...) is to remove
any dependencies on APP-NAME, PROCID and MSGID and use structured data
fields for them. Otherwise, I foresee that I need a lot of hardcoded
exception inside a syslog implementation to "mangle" this fields so that
the happen to be right for -sign while they are invalid from the overall
application point of view.

--

Version field: I recommend renaming it to something like "Sig-Version"
to avoid mistaking -protocol VERSION and -sign Version.

--

I hope I will be able to do a full review by the end of the week.

Rainer