Chris,

I would prefer

> __ No - take it out, we need to move the world along,

as this removes a lot of complexity and guesswork. It will also be
cleaner if rfc3164 is actually obsoleted by -syslog-protocol.

If that is not WG consensus, I would recommend
> __ Maybe - move it to a non-normative appendix

As a formal note, I am not sure if we can create normative text based on
a non-normative document (rfc 3164). This sounds kind of wrong to me...

Rainer