Forwarded from ietf@ietf.org; please include ietf@ietf.org in any

dbh

-----Original Message-----
From: David W. Hankins [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 1:00 PM
To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-syslog-protocol: "Reliable delivery
consideredharmful."

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 08:31:49AM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> Wether it is a bug or a feature depends on your requirments. On some
> high-security environments, people prefer to suspend the service
> rather than not being able to log it. (Otherwise, an attacker could
> easily attempt many attacks, fill in the hard disk and then perform
> the real attack unlogged).

I'd just like to point out that you're choosing one bug over
another.  A DOS in preference to lack of observance of events.

In my opinion, that's a bad selection, but it's your selection to
make.

That kind of preference, that kind of choice, is a good thing to
have, but it would be unwise to apply to the general case a
systematic selection of DOS over observation.

--
David W. Hankins        "If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer               you'll just have to do it again."