Rainer,
     I did inot get the point. Why do we have to stick to
only the facilities that are used on all platforms? Is it
that
     a. all system do not use the facility codes?
        e.g. system A uses facility code "12" for ntp while
        system B uses nothing or, "localuse" facility code
        for ntp,
     or,
     b. all systems do not have the same semantics for the
        facility codes ?
        e.g. system A uses facility code "12" for ntp" while
        system B uses facility code "12" for kernel etc.

     Glenn