Discuss - Congestion Control

Magnus: But what I think is needed here is some clear and normative requirement on how to avoid and limit congestion. First of all I would like to see a restriction on the applicability of this transport to within a controlled environment unless the rate is capped to a level that is TCP friendly or the full path is provisioned to handle the traffic. There should also be
a discussion on how one rate limits SYSLOG traffic.

Magnus: If any higher rates of packets are to be sent over best effort networks then a feedback mechanism is needed. That would probably need to include forward path UDP packetization layer with sequence number to enable loss detection. Complemented with feedback traffic to enable rate control of outgoing traffic. That could also resolve the PMTUD issue.

Lars:
draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-21, Section 8.5., paragraph 2: > It may be desirable to use a transport with guaranteed delivery to
   mitigate congestion.
  Reliable delivery and congestion control are orthogonal features. A
  reliable transport will not necessarily have congestion control, and
  vice versa.

Lars:
draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-21, Section 8.5., paragraph 3:
   It may also be desirable to include rate-limiting features in syslog
   originators and relays.  This can reduce potential congestion
   problems when message bursts happen.
  This is too weak a statement on congestion control. See DISCUSS above.

Lars:
Given the issues that the UDP transport has with congestion control, security and fragmentation, I'd like the document to recommend the TLS-based transport over the UDP-based one for general use, i.e., when the network is not specifically
provisioned for this type of traffic.

Prposed Resolution:

+ Place text in syslog-protocol, syslog-transport-tls, and syslog-transport-udp to state that
  - udp transport is to be used only where the network is specifically
    provisioned for this type of traffic,
  - tls is to be used in all cases where congestion issues may be a
    concern.

+ Remove the text in syslog-protocol which states that reliable delivery
  will mitigate congestion.

Response from Lars:
I'd like to see the actual text changes, but this proposal exactly captures what I'd like to see happen.

Response from Magnus:
This mostly addresses my concerns. I still think there is one major issue around this with congestion control. And that is some description on how to rate-limit your traffic. Either in UDP to some pre-configured threshold and in the case of TLS over TCP the rate actually available. There can occur situations where the amount of generated data will be larger than what can be transfered. How does one resolve this? I think it probably needs to be more text in syslog-protocol spec about this. How to use scope and prio to determine which messages to throw away or queue up (within limits).