On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Malte Starostik <li...@malte.homeip.net> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2012, 13:40:57 schrieb Koen Kooi:
>> Op 14 jun. 2012, om 10:38 heeft Wulf C. Krueger het volgende geschreven:
>> > I can confirm and emphasize what William already wrote - for us
>> > source-based distros
>>
>> I just have to ask: what are non-source based distros based on? Pixie dust?
>
> The sources are compiled right on the users' systems as opposed to binary
> distros where the sources are - usually - compiled by the distro who then
> provides pre-built binary packages to their users.

He was joking... he is one of OpenEmbedded guys ;-)
The original phrasing was weird enough to deserve the joke

> One of the main differences concerning the issue at hand is that as a
> consequence built-time dependencies matter for users, so build everything and
> discard what you don't want causes more overhead than for a distributor who's
> probably going to have a use for the binaries that are excluded from a udev-
> only package.  A Gentoo/LFS/etc. user who doesn't opt for systemd will need to
> satisfy the build deps for no benefit just to get udev.

As Auke put very well, just keep the old version. That's the best
option so far. Eventually these things will mature and your patches,
or similar, can be applied.

Another option I'm hoping Gentoo uses is to standardize on systemd
instead of dozen of half backed utilities to do the same things.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems