On Wed, 16.01.13 13:04, Colin Walters (walt...@verbum.org) wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-01-16 at 17:34 +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > on openSUSE, we found the need to sometime force "--ignore-dependencies"
> > when systemctl is called (usually from other services / initscripts /
> > tools started by initscripts and which can cause deadlock).
>
> Hm, what about having systemd detect when systemctl connections come
> from a pid inside a unit (as opposed to a logind cgroup), and
> automatically queuing the result as an "idle" operation?

Well, it's up to the clients to decide whether they want to wait until
an operation is done or not. We have "--no-block" for that on the
systemctl command line.

We default to blocking, since that is usually what makes most sense,
people assume they can use services after they started them. Making the
blocking behaviour dependent on who is calling sounds like huge
trouble. ("My script works fine if i run it from a terminal, but fails
terribly if i run it from a cronjob!")

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.