On 12.08.2015 21:34, Harry Goldschmitt wrote:
I have a service that has to complete before boot can continue. Is there an
"approved" method for doing this?

"Boot can continue" is a bit vague. It is not possible to insert arbitrary synchronization point at arbitrary place in startup sequence, but it is possible to make e.g. basic.target depend on your service.

I have an ugly solution I've come up with... I've created a foo.target to run my
foo.service and set the default.target to my foo.target. After my foo.service completes,
I'm issuing "systemctl isolate multi-user" to complete the boot.

Last time this question came up I think it was exactly the workaround as well.