On Fri, 01.07.16 06:37, Andrei Borzenkov (arvidj...@gmail.com) wrote:

> In principle, I do not see why we cannot have WantedBy and RequiredBy as
> first class directives under [Unit] to spare all these hoops.

systemd loads unit files as they are requested, by following
dependencies. i.e. when we see Wants=foobar.service in a file
quux.service, and quux.service is loaded because it shall be started
then we'll load foobar.service too. systemd does not load unit files
that are not referenced by any other unit. It hence minimizes what it
loads, and it does *not* iterate through the unit dirs loading
everything it finds there.

Now, if we would permit WantedBy= in [Unit], this would mean that if a
unit file waldo.service carries WantedBy=miau.service in [Unit], then
when miau.service is requested to be started we would somehow have to
determine that waldo.service is to be loaded and started too. But how
could we do that without loading all possible unit files as boot? i
mean, how would we efficiently detect that waldo.service needs to be
loaded when just looking at miau.service if the latter does not carry
in anyway information about the former?