Ok, thanks for your reply.

Any suggestion to achieve something similar? I'm trying with btrfs
subvolumes but I don't get to make union of /usr from OS subvolume with
/usr from runtime subvolume

Nowadays I'm workarouding with:

systemd-nspawn
--overlay=/var/lib/machines/os/usr:/var/lib/machines/runtime/usr:/usr -D
/var/lib/machines/os --machine=foo -b -x