On Wed, 16.11.16 15:33, Pekka Sarnila (sarn...@adit.fi) wrote:

> On 'Predictable Network Interface Names' it states as a benefit of the new
> policy:
>
>   Stable interface names even when hardware is added or removed, i.e.
>   no re-enumeration takes place
>
> Unfortunately this is not true.

Yeah, some firmware will renumerate PCI devices when you plug in a
device. Ideally they wouldn't. We are making the best effort to
provide stable names, but when the lower layers fuck with us they fuck
with us, there's little we can do about this.

> Could there be general solution for this? On ordinary system MAC could be
> used, but on virtual one. And there are of course docking systems for
> laptops. So that is not general enough.
>
> It would seem there is no general way to enumerate persistently network
> interfaces unless the network hardware itself directly gives its name (and
> have unique names over the world). Or is there?

Well, the firmware exposes APIs of this, and we make usre of it. But
if the firmware provided info isn't actually reliable, then there's
little we can do.

> However could there be a way for systemsd/udev to know that there is only
> one interface in the system? At least then always as a default the same name
> could be given.

You can plug in an USB device anytime. You newer know what will
eventually show up. And probing time for many devices is essentially
unbounded, so you might have a USB device soldered onto your
mainboard, and it may take any time it likes to initialize, and we
simply cannot know in advance whether we got them all yet, or not.