On Mon, 2 Jan 2017, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

Buttons can be remapped in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d snippet that has the
same matching capabilities (assuming you run more or less recent Xorg).

I didn't know it can match by device ID. Will look into it.

Keyboard keys are really better going in xkb rules and you can select
custom layout using xorg.conf.d snippet as well. Note that I have heard
rumors about deprecating xmodmap entirely.

I already reconfigured xkb. Unfortunately all my keyboard's layout are affected, and I only need the new layout to be applicable to a single keyboard, and leaving the built-in laptop keyboard untouched. But since you mentioned xorg.conf.d can selectivly apply mouse settings by device, perhaps the same could be done in xorg.conf.

Thansk.