On Fedora 25 I can rename a tap interface with a .link file in
/etc/systemd/network but I cannot rename any Ethernet interfaces.

Reading around there are a few reports of issues for Debian and these seemed to
relate the the use of initramfs (egĀ
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=793374), which is also the
case for Fedora.

I can rename the interfaces on another machine that boots without initramfs etc
so perhaps this is it?

I cannot find any docs on how to use systemd.link when booting with initramfs.
Is there any advice?  The Debian solution was to add the .link files to the
initramfs but that feels heavy handed.

I now have the interfaces renamed by  creating
"/etc/udev/rules.d/69-persistent-net.rules" with corresponding rules
("70-persistent-net.rules" worked once and then got over written to nothing).

Cheers,
Chris