On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 11:30:35PM +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> Hi systemd folks,
>
> (service and timer files being discussed at the bottom)
>
> we are currently reworking the way automatic updates and upgrades work
> on Ubuntu and Debian systems. We basically have two persistent timers
> with associated services:
>
> 1. apt-daily - Downloads new lists and packages
> 2. apt-daily-upgrade - Performs upgrades
>
> The first job should run spread out through the day (we run it twice
> due to some other reasons), the latter in the morning between 6 and 7,
> and at boot, daily-upgrade should be resumed after daily (so we added
> After ordering relations to apt-daily-upgrade timer and service).
>
> Now, we seem to be missing one bit: If daily-upgrade is already
> running, and daily is about to start, daily should wait for
> daily-upgrade to finish. I had hoped that maybe that works
> automatically given that there is some ordering relation between the
> two, but that did not work out. I tried adding Conflicts, but systemd
> then said "loop to fast" and became unresponsive (not sure if caused
> by this, but maybe).

Now it did not loop to fast, so I came to the following observation: We
basically need something like Conflicts that does not kill the already
running (oneshot) service, but simply waits for it to end on its own.

--
Debian Developer - deb.li/jak | jak-linux.org - free software dev
                  |  Ubuntu Core Developer |