05.09.2020 01:05, Lennart Poettering пишет:

> I explained this already. DNS server data today is much less config
> than state, acquired dynamically via DHCP, hence most distros don#t
> configure it in /etc so much anymore, but manage it in /run (where
> transient state is generally kept), and only keep a compat symlink in
> /etc. If you try to convince people though that the local timezone
> should just be transient state and not persistent config you'll have a
> hard time. I for one am certainly not convinced that the timezones are
> state...

Sorry? glibc has absolutely no problems with /etc/localtime being link
into /run, /var or whatever else (nor has it problems with this file
being normal file and not a link) as long as content of this file is
valid time zone definition. The only piece of software that has problem
with it is systemd. So may be you should stop finger pointing and simply
explain why *systemd* demands that /etc/localtime be specific symlink.

And yes, in current world this is state and not persistent config. When
I travel into another time zone I change state of my system for this
timezone. Just like DNS server address. Guess what? There is DHCP option
for time zone ... so how is it different from DNS server address?