On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 03:06:13PM +0200, Böszörményi Zoltán wrote:
Please take a page from the GLIB/GTK maintainers' notebook and indicate the version where a certain feature was introduced and all the versions where the same feature was gaining extensions or fixes.

I would also find this very helpful for doing portable configuration management between OS versions. If the versions can't be listed inline in what are already somewhat verbose man pages, perhaps a separate feature version matrix could be maintained or generated?

For an example of what this could look like---if it doesn't already exist---the Bash Hackers Wiki maintains one for Bash to which I very often refer:

<https://wiki.bash-hackers.org/scripting/bashchanges>

Something this useful would be great to show to the systemd-averse, who tend to cite instability of systemd's interface as a reason to reject it. Similar portability tables like this are already a great start:

<https://systemd.io/PORTABILITY_AND_STABILITY/>

--
Tom Ryder <https://sanctum.geek.nz/>
Maybe we can bring back the light.