Am 03.02.21 um 10:43 schrieb Benjamin Berg:
On Wed, 2021-02-03 at 08:00 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 02.02.21 um 22:25 schrieb Benjamin Berg:
On Tue, 2021-02-02 at 22:50 +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
02.02.2021 17:59, Lennart Poettering пишет:

Note that Requires= in almost all cases should be combined with
an
order dep of After= onto the same unit.

Years ago I asked for example when Requires makes sense without
After.
Care to show it? I assume you must have use case if you say "in
almost all".

In the GNOME systemd units there are a few places where a Requires=
is
combined with Before=

sounds like complete nonsense

you can not require something at your own to be there but on the other
hand start before it - at least by common sense

The units are indeed non-trivial. I have put in a lot of effort to find
a solution that both works and is robust in various failure modes. It
may well be that there is a better approach with similar properties.
But, session login and logout(!) is not quite as trivial as one could
hope for unfortunately (backward compatibility and workarounds add some
complexities).

So, I would love to be educated on how to simplify all this while still
catching the various corner cases. But in order to convince me, you'll
need to make a more concrete suggestion and explain its properties

seriously - explain what you expect to happen in case of

Requires=a.service
Before=a.service

except some warning that it's nonsense

you need a.service but want to be started before a.service sounds like wash me but don't make me wet