On 6/23/21 12:52 PM, Greg KH wrote:
sysfs should be "self-contained", trying to add symlinks to it from
external places is racy and guaranteed to not work over time.

Hmm.  Is that true even when the symlink is created by an appropriate
udev rule (i.e. linking from /run/$known_location to /sys/$devpath)?

What problem are you trying to solve here that links into sysfs is an
attempted solution?

I'd like to ensure that I have a stable path to the sysfs files
associated with the IT8728F hardware monitoring chip in this system.
Depending on the order in which various modules are loaded, I've seen
them show up at different paths:

 * /sys/devices/platform/it87.656/hwmon/hwmon0
 * /sys/devices/platform/it87.656/hwmon/hwmon1

Is there a better way than udev to achieve this?