W dniu 28.09.2021 o 10:34, Colin Guthrie pisze:
Julian Sikorski wrote on 28/09/2021 07:37:
W dniu 27.09.2021 o 16:38, François Cami pisze:
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 4:05 PM Julian Sikorski <beleg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi list,

I am trying to set up an automount of my samba share. It works when I go
by the IP address, i.e.

//192.168.0.220/julian /mnt/openmediavault    cifs
credentials=/home/julas/.credentials,uid=julas,gid=julas,vers=3.1.1,nobrl,auto
0 0

If this is in fstab, it's different from autofs/automount.
Try adding _netdev to mount options.

François

Yes, this is in fstab. _netdev has helped, thanks! Would you mind explaining why it was not required when the IP address was being used? Network is needed either way.

I suspect it's just a race condition related to timeouts etc. Perhaps the retry/timeout logic of mounting via IP is better than name lookup timeouts etc.

_netdev is definitely the right fix here but depending on the portability of the machine (i.e. if it's a laptop) you may also want to look at x-systemd.automount option too to make it mount the path only when you try to access it rather than at boot. If not automount, then perhaps "x-systemd.mount-timeout=infinity,retry=9999" is also useful to make things more robust (although I'm not sure how these work with cifs).

See man systemd.mount for some more info.

HTHs

Col

Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense. This machine is a desktop so automount is not needed, I might use it for my laptop though.

Best regards,
Julian