On 06/04/2022 10:34, Luca Boccassi wrote:
Symlinking /sbin or /usr/sbin binaries to /usr is also a bad concept
IMHO.

It seems systemd is the new Microsoft ("We know what is good for you;
just accept it!");-)

Well, I saw a link to WHY we have /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin etc. Interesting read ...

/ was disk0. /usr was apparently originally short for /user, on disk1. Then the system disk ran out of space, so they created /usr/bin to have more space. So when they got a 3rd disk, they called it /home and moved all the user directories across ...

Regards,
Ulrich
Sorry, but you are about ~10 years late to this debate:-)  The question
today is not whether it's good or bad, but who's left to do the switch.

We know Fedora/RHEL/CentOS/SUSE/Arch/Ubuntu have done the switch, and
presumably any of their derivatives.

We know Debian is, er, working on it, as per the most recent article on
LWN.

What about other distros that are not derivatives of the aboves and
that use systemd? Does anybody have any insight?

gentoo defaults to OpenRC, but I'm running systemd. As far as I can tell I appear to have three distinct directories, /bin, /sbin, and /usr

I also have a fourth and fifth distinct directory, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin. What if any plans there are to merge them I have no clue.

Cheers,
Wol