In a message dated 8/3/00 10:36:57, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< It's weird for us Europeans to see our coverage held up as some sort of
panacea, since most of us think it's largely crap, for the same reasons you
criticise NBC. >>

My take is that a hard-core fan of any sport is rarely pleased with TV
coverage, no matter how good it is. I suspect that if you logged onto lists
for any other sport you'd find a general dissatisfaction with the product.
And that includes the sports which hog the bulk of the network sports time.

After all, every major newspaper in the country probably now has a sports-TV
critic who weekly tears into what's going on. If they can't get baseball and
football right for the hard core with all the time and money they throw at
them, how can we ever dream that they could satisfy the desires of the track
fan?

gh