CHRIS KUYKENDALL at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> We don't have nationality.  We have states.  For example, people
> in Fayetteville (my impression at the NCAA indoor meet in March)
> tend to root for the Razorbacks.  Which might, conceivably, hold
> also for ex-Razorbacks.  Does that have any potential?  And why
> or why not?  This is an open question to list members generally, not
> a retort to Dave Carey.
>
> Chris Kuykendall
> Austin, Texas
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

That's a huge untapped source of support...which unfortunately we
(Razorbacks) had a hard time mustering unless we made a lot of noise....
Some areas (Fayetteville included) can be largely ignorant of the enormous
talent residing there...mind you that's one reason I went to school there
(anonymity - you can focus on training instead of swelling your head).

If one puts on organised meets in scope like NCAA's and the yearly Tyson
Invite, the locals will get to know the stars from their area...and fan base
grows. Every major Basketball victory would erase our notoriety quickly, so
you have to compete to a certain degree...not impossible for any track
program...it just takes some effort to educate people as to what those
"track people" can really do.

European style meets can be done in N. America...we just have to try it.

Cheers.
JB
     Jason Bunston
     ICQ  22474747