At 06:14 PM 10/17/2000 -0700, malmo wrote..
>As a child, there was no movie scarier to me than "The Wizard of Oz". Those
>crazy flying monkeys scared the bejeezus out of me! Children do watch this
>movie don't they? They "have trouble distinguishing reality and fantasy"?
>Bullsh!t police here. You're busted.

I absolutely agree that the Wizard of Oz is very scary for children of a
young age.  That is why, unlike my parents, I won't let my son watch it
until he's at least 8 years old. I am being totally consistent here--no
hypocrisy.  You'd be charged with false arrest.

>Richard, you use as a rhetorical shield the contention that the empirical
>evidence lies on your side, as well as a challenge to "come forward with
>some empirical evidence to back up [Ed's] claim (and I'll take a wild guess
>and say that it simply does not exist)."
>
>OK, then, where is YOUR "empirical evidence"?

NBC was so deluged with calls from irate parents (sorry that I don't have
the actual numbers immediately at hand, but I think you will concede this
point) that it pulled the Nike ad.  I think that is sufficient evidence
that the ad was particularly offensive.

I want to reiterate my point though which started this whole
thread-"AWLs".  I do not object to the ad as somehow being exploitative or
somehow completely inappropriate in and of itself.  I thought it was a
clever send up  (I thought it was going to be one of those PowerBar "Don't
bonk ads" at first).  My only objection is the setting of the presentation,
which was inappropriate.  I think if they had held the ad until when they
showed all of the track finals at 11:30 at night (my dig at NBC), then it
would have been fine.

RMc