In a message dated 10/23/00 9:36:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<< Okay, now that everyone outside and inside the USA borders has had their
turn
 at "beating a dead horse", I still say that most of you are missing the
 point. There is nothing on the horizon that will replace the 100 years old
US
 public high school system of athletic competition. Yeah, a strong club
system
 sounds great, and where is the huge financial support that public schools
now
 contribute going to come from? For most American kids high school is THE
 FOCUS of their universe. That's not going to change. For most American high
 school athletes track and field is introduced as their "second" sport. A
 World Championships in October just isn't that important compared to
 football, volleyball, basketball. If it's in July or August, yeah they'll
get
 excited, provided they can be back time for preseason. Anyone remember the
 name Tory Mitchell? If any one could have beaten Chris Malcolm in '98 he
 could of. But getting ready for football was more important. Mitchell of
 course isn't playing anything now, he back home in Big Spring, Tx (another
 story entirely).
Your point is well-taken.  But it's not as certain as it once was.  Several
athletes have found they can make a good living in track, the lure of FB not
withstanding.

     The truly surprising thing to me was the fact USATF sent as "big" a
squad
 as it did. I seem to remember talk in '98 about skipping the meet
completely.
 But then there was the feeling that we needed to support the IAAF (or that
 there was some penalty for not going, such as housing availability at future
 championships) I can't say for sure.
And USATF should be applauded for doing so.  We snipe at that organization
constantly and I would have been the first one on the bandwagon to maul them
had we not sent a full team.  USATF did its job, the coaches and kids failed
to do theirs.

     The bottom line is every country has it's own set of circumstances to
 deal with. Here's and opportunity for the world to beat it chest and crow
 that theirs is a better system. Go right ahead; but, you can't decree
 something is important. I love the Juniors probably more than I do
"seniors".
 I've coached in high school going on 32 years now, it's the best. But the
 ultimate bottom line is that in the USA junior competitions don't hold the
 same aura as the Olympics and what happened in Chile has little to do with
 what will happen in future Olympics for the USA. That is not the case every
 where. I trust that the Britons are looking with relish at the future of
Mark
 Lewis-Francis and Chris Malcolm. If they were Americans they would probably
 be playing football (no not soccer) right now and dreaming of Bowl games and
 the NFL. Different place, different aspirations.
As I recall, the biggest event in the sporting world is the World Cup not the
Super Bowl nor any bowl game.  In GB soccer (football) is a far bigger sport
than the NFL is here.

     My biggest problem with this whole tread is the "oh we're terrible and
 we're going to get worse" on one side and the "hooray our way is better, you
 guys just cry sour grapes when things don't going your way" on another side.
 Maybe some of you have noticed but the world isn't so clear cut. Tolerance
 isn't a strong point of this list and dissecting a topic is usually
 accomplished with the deft touch of a sledgehammer.
I wish I had the strength to lift such an object.  But sometimes you have hit
the mule with a sledgehammer to get him to pay attention.  For what it's
worth, our system is far better than anyone elses, our winning the World Jr
meet in '92 and taking a close 2nd in '96 proves that.  The fact remains the
performance of the US team in Santiago was an embarassment.

 Andy Ferrara
 Ass't Men's Coach
 1998 USATF Junior Team