>This club system can benefit most from a structured regional/national
>schedule.  Team scores must be kept and promoted to the hilt, and a
>complete event schedule should be followed as often as possible (get
>some walks in there too!!).
>
>MJR

Agree 100%. The reason why clubs fail in this country is lack of competition
between the clubs. That's why their needs to be a structured
regional/national schedule. Their needs to be more emphasis on team
competition and less on individual competition in races. Take a look at
running in Europe. Clubs are big there because the clubs compete with each
other week after week. Competition breeds fast times and fast runners.

Most clubs in the US are concerned most with participation. If a structured
regional/national schedule was implemented these clubs would work harder to
train their athletes so their club could come out on top. There are tons of
clubs in the US. There are at least 4 running clubs just in the Louisville
area alone. Break each state into regions that compete for regional and
state competitions then these state champs compete in national regions then
these region champs compete in a national championship. It has to start at
the top, not the bottom. It does no good if say the Louisville area clubs
start a local competition schedule because there would be no where else to
go after the local area champs. There already is a national club
championship in XC. All that needs to be added to that is a state
championship and the dominos will fall from there. I think the USATF could
also put together a national club road racing championship or series of
races.

Alan