In a message dated 2/13/1 12:55:12 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

<<n a message dated Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:31:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Adam
G Beaver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

<<Why would anyone agree to arrange such a race for Runyan? Why would Runyan
think that obtaining a particular time justify betraying the purpose of

athletics? And should anyone care what the outcome is? >>

Nobody detests rabbited races more than I, but in this situation i suspect
there's a certain element of (misguided) "humanitarian concern," relative to
Runyan's blindness.

gh>>

Before this gets out of hand, let me try to set the record straight. It was
Marla Runyan's "camp" that first approached Ian Brooks, who had previously
arranged races at the Armory for Regina Jacobs and Alan Webb, among others.

Runyan, who plans to concentrate on the 5k outdoors, was aware of the fast
times produced at the Armory, and saw this as an opportunity to get a fast
time in the rarely-run (indoors) event.

Brooks tried to line up other elite runners, but they were either committed
to running at this weekend's U.S. X-Country Championships or else felt that a
5k didn't fit into their racing/training schedule at this time.

Like Garry Hill, I'm not a big fan of rabbited races, at least the ones that
are set up for just one runner (not so bad if you have 2 or more who can
follow the pace), but I'm not that upset by this one.

First of all, the 5k is rarely run at the elite level in the U.S. Second,
does it really make any difference if 10 runners finish way behind in a Geb
or El Guerrouj solo record attempt, which may have as many as three rabbits,
or if no one finishes behind Runyan? In either case, there is no real
competition other than the clock.

Another note--when Lynn Jennings set her American Record of 15:22.64(WR at
the time) at the 1990 Dartmouth Relays, 2nd place was almost 40-seconds
behind. Would you call that a competitive race? At least Jennings could draw
on lapped runners, while Runyan will most likely be alone for at least the
last 10 laps.

I'm all for protecting the integrity of the sport, but I don't think it will
be damaged by Runyan's record attempt.

Walt Murphy
(Who hopes to get back from Pocatello in time to see the race)

P.S. Runyan's medical condition had no bearing on setting up this race.