I think that it's pretty obvious that water is good for you and coke is bad
for you when it comes to any sort of athletic performance. I drink my fair
share of carbonated drinks so I try to drink a little more water at night to
compensate for the dehydration. In my experience the caffeine in coke or
pepsi or tea or coffee or whatever isn't all that horrible if you make sure
to drink plenty of water during the day. 20oz of water for a 20oz of coke.
The acid in the coke/pepsi I think it what really messes with your system.
I've been known to drink enough Mello Yello to dissolve a Buick from time to
time, and when this happens I can't see to stop having these "internal
burps". It's sort of a "burp on command" type of deal. Also after enough
carbonated drinks I get a lasting sharp pain in my side/stomach. So when it
comes to carbonated drinks I think it's the acidity, not the dehydration
that tears you up more.

Alan