conway wrote:
> If that is the case then it would not be a bad change although I still
think
> it would change the event slightly ... Getting the baton earlier in the
Zone
> would allow the outgoing runner the ability to begin acceleration sooner
> which over 3 exchanges should (in theory) lead to faster times overall ...

I agree that it is probably a change for the better.  But they're not
allowing acceleration sooner.  The only time I've ever seen a handoff occur
before the 20m handoff zone is when the outgoing runner has not gotten up to
speed, so all this change will do is help a team that normally would have
been either DQ'd or would have had a near collision.  Runners will still be
starting their acceleration at the same point, and I doubt they'll be going
faster knowing that they now have the option to handoff "before" the old
handoff zone.

- Ed Parrot