I recall when first colleges and then high schools changed over to the
one false start rule. Coaches saw this as some sort of apocolypse and thought
it would totally ruin the sprints and hurdles. Needless to say, it didn't
happen that way at all. Athletes, fans, and coaches all take it for granted
by this time that one false start means disqualification and it isn't even a
topic of discussion any more.

    Yes, it would be a major change at the IAAF/International level, at
first.
But if the rule change is made, I'm quite certain in a matter of a
year or so, everybody will have adjusted to it. If the high school and
college meets are any indication, they will actually like it. And meets will
run better for all concerned -- athletes, fans, television, etc.

    Races will be more fair as anticipating the starter or trying to get an
advantage through the starter will be eliminated.

    I don't believe it will hurt the sport at all in the long run.

    In a humorous aside, Manhattan College's track team lost one athlete to
a false start in the first year of the rule. No, it didn't happen in the
sprints or hurdles. The Jaspers lost a miler (!) to a false start in an
indoor meet at Army against Army and University of Pennsylvania.

    Steve