Dave writes:

>      I can't let this slippery bit of logic get by without sticking
>up for Conway.  He means that he can't think of a single DIRECT
>benefit to the athletes.  Everything Bray mentions is a secondary
>or derived benefit.  I think the original intent of Conway's
>statement was quite clear.

Direct or indirect benefit, what's the difference?  Either way it helps the
athletes.  If say Congress was considering some new regulation that made the
industry in which I'm employed more profitable and more prosperous, you can
bet I'd be in favor of it.

To say that a new rule that pleases the fans and enhances the TV coverage of
the sport will be of no benefit to the athletes is simply incorrect.

Kurt Bray