[EMAIL PROTECTED] (whoever that is) wrote:

>       I read, but very rarely do I feel the need to post.  All you
> armchair
> athletes have the audacity to sit here and say that false starting is
> unsportmanlike conduct?!?  LOL Give me a break.  I've also read that
> it is
> unfair to anticipate the gun.  Well, let's look at it from a sprinters
> point
> of view.  I expect the gun, therefore I react the moment I hear it.
> This
> enables me to react faster than any other man in the sport.  Is it
> cheating,
> NO!  Is it fair, YES.  Is it unsportsmanlike, DEFINATELY NOT!

I agree with you 100% here.  Practicing to react to the gun is not
cheating, and is a very appropriate thing to do.

>        What Maurice said in his interview is correct.  He timed the
> starters
> rhythm.  Unfortunatley, it is impossible to be completely accurate
> because no
> starter fires exactly the same way in the same rhythm.  I have spoken
> to many
> starters before meets and they have concluded that they change the gun
> if
> there is a false start in the race.  This I believe shoots down every
> arguement that false starts helps the athletes time the starter.

But Maurice, according to his interview, is not doing the same as you.
He is not trying to react as soon as possible, he is trying to
anticipate when the starter will fire.  Rule 162.2 states:  "All races
shall be started by the report of the Starter's gun or approved starting
apparatus fired upwards after he has ascertained that competitors are
steady and in the correct starting position."  Note that the rule does
not say that races are to start when the competitors think the starter
is about to fire!

>       Now, I am sorry that many of you feel you don't get enough track
> TV
> time due to false starts, but I do not think this rule is being
> implemented
> for the right reasons.  It is for the sole purpose dictatorship and
> greed.
> To say a track sprinter can not react faster than .100 is completely
> unresearched.

My understanding is that this has been extensively researched, with a
generous allowance made below the fastest reaction tested.

> To say that the touch sensitive blocks are completely accurate
> is unintellegent, and to say the the judgement of the human eye is
> fair, is
> unfair.

Total reliance on either the pressure sensitive blocks or the human eye
is unwise, but the combination of the two should catch almost all false
starts.

> "TO ERR IS HUMAN, TO REALLY FOUL THINGS UP REQUIRES A COMPUTER."
> Don't just read, read into it!
>
> THE PRINCE!

What is your suggestion, Prince, on how to eliminate false starts?

--
Wayne T. Armbrust, Ph.D.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]