After thinking over (over lunch hour!) what Garry Hill said about Gerry
Lindgren (pasted below) and how his OVERALL career compares with the others

I have to admit he is right when you look at a CAREER in THREE PARTS:

1)  HS:  Lindgren hands-down.  Higher level than anyone before or since.
4:01y all the way to 29:17 for 10k.  Better marks than any at 5k and the
3-Mile.

LINDGREN:   1

2)  College:  Lindgren probably somewhat better than any, and only Pre was
really close.  Tons of titles, impressive times, consistency at the highest
level (NCAA Championships).  I think he had a 27:11 six-mile  .. a .1 loss
(or same-time?) to Mills in 1965.  I think they were given the same time of
27:11.0, a WR for the six-mile at the time.  (NOTE:  Garry was actually
THERE (in NCAA track) and is clearly more knowledgeable about NCAA history
than myself).

LINDGREN:   1

3)  Open:  Hard to judge with all the misfortune he had.  But, it is fair to
say that many, many Americans had a better palmares' after college.  This
includes some guys that came BEFORE Lindgren (like Dellinger and Bob Schul).

The physical ability between age 24-and-28 that allows most distance runners
to reach their peak came much earlier for Lindgren ( a squeaky-voiced boy
among men), making his running in his 20's not-so-great.

LINDGREN:       0

Judging them in this "electoral vote" way, makes Lindgren the clear winner
in two rounds of three, making his OVERALL career "better" than those
mentioned.

I guess it is also fair to say that he "stomps the crap out of any of them
as both a prep and a collegian"  (with the exception of Pre).

Willing to see it "another's" way,

-Brian McEwen

("Splitting hairs and I know no one cares.")

you're joking, right?

Neither Shorter, Pre, Virgin nor Kennedy have an OVERALL career that
remotely compares with Lindgren's. He absolutely stomps the crap out of any
of them as both a prep and a collegian, and his forays into the open ranks
on the track are right up there with any of the others.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry every year when a stiff who couldn't
carry his jock gets into the Hall of Fame and he's not even nominated.

gh