Ed wrote:

>To me, the shot put and the 10,000 are the two records that are most out of
>reach on that list, with the mile and the 4 x 400 next.  I think there's
>every chance that we'll see the 2 mile and 5K fall in the next 5 years,
>while the 400m is the type of event where I can see some stud coming along
>and scaring the record.
>
>As for the marathon, there have definitely been high schoolers capable of
>the record, it's just a question of whether it will ever be run by someone
>of that caliber again.  Certainly Ryan Hall's sub 50:00 10-miler is
>indicative of the ability to run 2:23.
>
>Out of curiosity, what do 2nd and third places on the all-time 10K and shot
>put list look like?

On the 10,000 list 2 & 3 are also from 76 and #4 is Lindgren

#2 28:55.0 - Eric Hulst
#3 29:06.8 - Bill McChessney
#4 29:17.6 - Lindgren

As for the shot put #2 is 76'2" by Brent Noon from 1990 ... I was fortunate
enough to be at the Golden West when Carter set that record .. When he let
the ball fly it went past every flag laid out (meet record, national record,
etc) and just looked like it would sail forever ... Was one of the most
awesome sights I have seen in track AND field ...

Conway