Weren't there well over 100 qualifiers (maybe close to 200?) for the 1984
Olympic trials?

I've always held that the main difference is milage.  Not too many people
are hitting 100+ mile weeks in college and high school any more so the
post-collegians have a much rougher transition to the marathon than they
once did (and of course far fewer try).

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Post, Marty wrote:

> At the 1983 Boston Marathon, 71 American men broke 2:20. On a single day.
>
> Last year, a total of 24 American men broke 2:20. For 366 days.(And the guy
> at the top was born and spent his early training years in Morocco.)
>

> Marty Post
> Senior Editor
> Runner's World Magazine
> www.runnersworld.com