Garry wrote,

>What really bothers me is that I'm having trouble believing that the
>rather tame original post and the few bits of thread that were allowed to
>follow it were enough to set off alarm bells in the halls of Duckademia.
>Rather, it seems obvious to me that some list member(s) must have raised a
>major stink with the university; yapping to the point that the school had
>no choice but to step in and get draconian.<

I'm sure that must have occurred to others. One of the supervisor's early
messages on the problem included the information that it might be difficult
to find a new sponsor, since the list currently had only one subscriber
with a U of O address. Where, then, would the negative feedback originate?

>Since I participated in the offending thread (even if it was just a
>single-word attempt at punnery),  I've decided I have no choice but to
>fall on my proverbial sword here and resign from the list. As Groucho
>said, roughly, "I'd never belong to any club that would have me as a
>member."<

The ultimate misfortune in the entire matter would seem to be that we lose
GH, who has unique resources to add useful information to the list, but get
to keep those whose style of participation is to slather the list with
obnoxious language and vindictive personal attacks on other posters,
providing no useful information of their own. Poor exchange. It provides a
strong argument for a moderated list, with clear-cut boundary lines on what
is acceptable content for posting.