>From: "Oleg Shpyrko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>RE: Economical reasons.
>
>Would there be more american champions
>if winning a major marathon by a US runner was worth $10, 20 million?

My first thought was if that happened I would live in a box and run 200
miles a week right now. Now, why don't I just go ahead and do that now? That
I think is the question that determines who does and who does not win major
marathons. If a US guy wins a major marathon he could live very comfortably
for a year or two off the winnings. If he wins 10/20 million in that race he
could live very comfortably for the rest of his life. So, Joe-Blow graduates
from college with a BS in BS and has the potential to earn lotsa cash right
off the bat, or he could train hard and maybe win a major marathon in a year
or two but he possibly could be making more with his BS degree. So as a
result of American economics and culture a little voice is in the back of
his head saying "Use your degree you putz!!!" so he never is fully focused
on his running goal.

I say to shut that little voice up don't complete your college degree. With
no degree your chance of making lotsa cash is lotsa nothing. So you say
"Hell with it", live with your parents or in some shack and run till you
puke...then in 10 years if you still ain't nada you just go back to college,
finish your degree and get in line.

Alan